Amakhala Game Reserve is located in the malaria-free Eastern Cape – within the Greater Addo region and at the northern end of the famous Garden Route.
Situated a mere 50 minute drive from Port Elizabeth Airport, this private reserve offers a spectrum of budget and luxury accommodation options, ranging from 3-star to 5-star experiences. Discerning guests are hosted in the relaxed atmosphere of yesteryear, gracious hospitality and keen attention to detail at your lodge of choice.
Amakhala Game Reserve is a unique conservation initiative that allows animals to be re-introduced to the region where they once roamed freely, making a contribution to the conservation of the natural heritage. The land was used to ranch sheep and cattle up to the turn of the century. The challenge has been to re-establish the original flora and fauna species to the area and to return the land to nature.
The Reserve lies in the Indian Ocean coastal belt, and the vegetation is a mixture of coastal dunes, open grassland and savannah woodland. The 10 owner-managed establishments that make up the Reserve accommodation include restored country houses, safari lodges and tented camps – all scattered in different locations across the 18,000 acre Big 5 Reserve.
Accommodation comprises of 10 superb Safari Lodge options, including:
- > Bukela Game Lodge – 5-star secluded safari lodge with 4 suites and 5 tents, a preferred choice for honeymooners.
- > Bush Lodge – 5-star luxury tented camp with 8 suites, each featuring air-conditioning and private plunge pools.
- > Safari Lodge – 4-star intimate thatched safari lodge with 11 luxurious suites, each featuring air-conditioning and private plunge pools.
- > Woodbury Lodge – 4-star family friendly lodge set against a cliff with magnificent views
- > Hlosi Game Lodge – 4-star family friendly lodge – fenced in (so small children are welcome)
- > Hillsneck Safari Camp – 4-star intimate lodge – with only 4 tented suites it is ideal for exclusive-use basis.
- > Woodbury Tented Camp – 3 star camp with 8 elevated tented suites under thatch, each with private decks.
- > Leeuwenbosch Country House – 3-star colonial manor set in manicured gardens – perfect for families. Dedicated children’s programme offered.
- > Carnarvon Dale Lodge – a 3-star Farmhouse ideal for a small family.
- > Quatermain’s 1920’s Safari Camp – 3 star rustic expedition camp with 3 colonial style tents; enjoy a genuine bush experience here.
- Best Time to GoMay to September
- High SeasonOctober to March
(The park gets crowded)
- Wonderful game viewing experience
- Wide array of lodges to choose from
- Malaria-free Zone
- River cruise available
- Open-vehicle expeditions for night and morning game drives
- Very accessible and easily combined with the popular Garden Route
The small game reserve Amakhala is packed with all the prerequisites of a good safari experience; it offers an excellent array of wildlife including zebras, wildebeest, antelopes, giraffes, vervet monkeys and last but not the least the Big Five.More About the Wildlife
Amakhala is packed with scenic views which include, the meandering Bushman River which can be best experienced through the river cruise. You will love the sightseeing in the region because it is located on the coast of The Indian Ocean. It features vegetation such as grassland, savannah woodland and beachside sand dunes.
Weather & Climate
Amakhala has a semi-arid climate, rainfall is experienced throughout the year; mostly in the summer (October to April) especially in the months of October and March, during which the temperature hardly crosses 28 degrees Celsius (82 degrees Fahrenheit). Winters (May to September) features clear weather. However, the nights might be cold with temperatures below 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit).More About the Weather and Climate
Best Time to Visit
Amakhala boasts year-round great wildlife viewing opportunities. Amakhala experiences a semi-arid climate, so the animals are always attracted to the natural water sources during the driest months from June to September.More About the Best Time to Visit